James L. Davis was born in Virginia (we suspect Loudoun County) in 1786 and died in1855 at the age of 69. We don't know where he died but most likely it was in Pennsylvania.
He married Mary Patterson who was born in 1784 in Virginia and died in 1855 at the age of 71, the same year James died. I’ve found no record of who Mary’s parents were. The family bible verifies James and Mary died the same year.
As far as we can tell all the children were born in Somerset, Pennsylvania so at some point James moved from Virginia to Pennsylvania.
To this union were born seven sons and four daughters. I haven’t found dates of death for many of their children but we can see from the Family Tree visual below that Samuel died at one year of age; Constance died at birth. With Davis being such a common name it can be difficult to find pertinent records.
James and Mary's 2nd son, Samuel Dickerson Davis, is recorded in the family bible as having died when he was a little more than one year old. According to "Children in Colonial America" by P. Anthony Ryan, "In the Colonial era, parents loved their children but still held them somewhat at a distance emotionally. After all, kids weren't expected to live long. The infant mortality rate was between 25 and 50 percent. If a child made it to the "magic age" of eleven, he or she had a good chance of living a long time." They also lost a daughter, Constance, who appears to have died at, or shortly after birth.
Clothing worn in the 1840s
We don't have pictures of our relatives from this time period but being that they were farmers they would have worn simple, sturdy clothings. They probably had one item of "dress" clothing for attending church or social gatherings.
What Was Happening from 1820-1850s
Before moving on to our Third Generation, Simeson Davis, let's look at what we know about his brother's and sisters.
Children of James L. Davis and Mary Patterson, Siblings of Simeson Davis:
- Frederick Garn Davis: born January 1858 in Hudson, Wisconsin. He married Mary E. Hurd on October 3, 1883 in Wisconsin. Mary was born on Jun 19, 1866 in New Richmond, Wisconsin. In 1900 Fred is now 42 and a Barber, living in St. Paul, Minnesota. Mary is 33. They have 4 children, all in school. In 1905 Fred is living in Clear Lake, Wisconsin and is a laborer. Only 3 of their children are listed on this Census. By 1910 Fred, 53, is in the Barber trade again and owns his own shop. Mary, now 42, is a nurse and states she had 5 children, but only 4 living. In the 1920 Census they are still in Clearlake and owns home at 102 Graves St. Jessie, 29, living with them along with her husband, Earnest Tulgren who is a Carpenter. In 1930 they are still in Clearlake and Fred, now 73, is retired and rents his home at 55 Main St. for $9 per month. Mary is 62. They don't own a radio. Both Mary and Fred died in 1935. Mary was 69 and Fred was 77. They are both buried at Clear Lake Cemetery in Clear Lake, Wisconsin. They have FindAGrave memorials--click here for Fred, here for Mary. Fred and Mary had four children: Maude Davis (1885-1974), Jessie L. Davis (1890-1957), Evan B. Davis (1892-?), Vera Marion Davis (1895-1982).
- Frank Davis: born 1861 in Wisconsin. No other information.
- Warren Sherman Davis: born December 16, 1867 in Hudson, Wisconsin. Warren married Ella F. Fulton on April 11, 1900 in Jackson County, Wisconsin. Ella was born about 1875 ih Wisconsin. She was the daughter of Andrew Jackson Fulton (1830-1922) and Christine Ann Murdie (1835-1917). In 1905 Warren and Ella were living in River Falls, Pierce County, Wisconsin. Warren was listed as an "Operator". They had two children by this time. In the 1930s and 40s they were living in Hudson, St. Croix county, Wisconsin. He had been working for the railroad. He and Ella had three children. I have found no death dare for Warren or Ella at this point. These are Warren and Ella's children:
- Arthur Fulton Davis: Arthur was born May 13, 1901 in Altoona, Wisconsin and died November 15, 1971 in Ramsey, Minnesota at age 70. No other information available.
- Esther Nancy Davis: was born March 19, 1905 in Dewey, Portage County, Wisconsin. She married Homer C. Wilcox around 1929 in Wisconsin. Homer was born on November 5, 1905 in Seneca, McHenry County, New York, the son of Bert Homer Wilcox (1867-1948) and Hesper Lillian Bigelow (1866-1956). Homer died in July 1986 age at 80 in Cattaraugus, New York and Esther died September 19, 1970 at age 65 in Cattaraugus, New York. They had six children: Homer C. (1905-1986), Wendell (1930-?), Joy Elaine (1931-1989), Carroll Homer (1936-1995), Gail Ann (1938-1949), David Ward (1940-1997).
- Warren Sherman Davis, Jr.: born around 1910 in Wisconsin. No other information available.
- Minnie F. Davis: born around 1871 in Wisconsin. No other information available.
- Susan P. Davis: born January 1873 in Wisconsin. No other information available.
Continue on to Simeson Davis - Third Generation